Idaho Potato Commission
Autumn Medley Stew
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes (15 oz. cans approx.)
- 1 yellow onion, cut into strips
- 2-3 med. carrots, sliced into coins
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 Idaho potatoes, raw, diced
- 3 chicken half-breasts, without skin
- 2 cups water (optional - add 2 packets low sodium chicken broth)
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- In a large soup kettle, simmer chicken breasts in 2 cups of water (or chicken broth). Add onion to chicken as it simmers. While it's cooking, you can slice other vegetables. When chicken is cooked throughout, remove and set aside.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, peppers and spices to onion and broth mixture. Continue to simmer.
- Break chicken into chunks, de-bone and add to stew. Simmer 30 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are done. Add rice and simmer 10 more minutes. Makes about 8 servings.
Calories, 214; Fiber, 4.5 g.; Cholesterol, 22 mg.; Sodium, 200 mg. Percent calories from: Protein, 24%; Carbohydrate, 70%; Fat, 6%.