Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato and Beef Paprika Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon prepared chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lean beef sirloin
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 red or green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 pounds Idaho Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups canned whole, peeled tomatoes, cut up
- 1 10-ounce package frozen peas OR peas and carrot mixture
- 1/4 cup Instant Mashed Idaho Potato flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- Over high heat, in a large, heavy pot with a tight-fitting cover, heat the olive oil until hot, then sauté the onions and garlic in the oil about 2 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Add the sirloin, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Continue to cook 5 minutes, or until the meat has lost all pinkness. Stir in the caraway seeds, oregano, paprika, and bell pepper strips.
- Add broth and potatoes. Cover, bring to boiling, then lower heat and simmer 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, peas and instant mashed potato flakes. Stir until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
420 calories, 11 g fat, 84 mg cholesterol, 724 g sodium, 37 9 protein, 44 g carbohydrates