Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato Spinach Balls
- 4 Idaho® potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- Lightly brush a baking tray with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, spinach and eggs. Beat with mixer until well-blended. Season with nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Add the cheese and 4 tablespoons of the flour. Stir until flour is well-blended.
- Spread the remaining flour onto a glass plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Using two teaspoons, form the spinach mixture into 1-inch balls. Drop the spinach balls onto the flour-covered plate. Roll balls in the flour to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Remove balls from the refrigerator; spray them lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. serve plain, or sprinkle balls with lemon juice.
56 calories, 2 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 3 grams protein, 7 grams carbohydrate, 22 mg cholesterol, 42 mg sodium.
*Two spinach balls per serving