Idaho Potato Commission
6 - 8 servings
- 10 corn tortillas, cut into very thin strips
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken, cubed
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped Idaho Potatoes (approximately 3 8-ounce potatoes)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen cut corn
- 4.5-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
Note: Potatoes may be peeled, if desired.
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- In a heavy stockpot, heat 1/4 inch of oil until very hot. Working in batches, fry tortillas strips until crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil. Fry the chicken on high for about 5 minutes or until it begins to brown. Add the onions and cook another 5 minutes or until brown. Add potatoes and broth; bring to boiling and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
- Add corn, chilies and cilantro or parsley. Return mixture to boiling and simmer another 5 - 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Divide tortilla strips among soup bowls. Ladle soup on top of strips, and squeeze a lime wedge on top of each portion.
339 calories, 10 g fat, 38 g cholesterol, 1120 g sodium, 19 g protein, 43 g carbohydrates
*Based upon 6 servings