Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato Doughnuts
Makes 4 dozen
- 2 packages active dry or cake yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° F to 115° F)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups prepared Instant Mashed Idaho Potatoes. cold
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups milk, scalded and cooled to luke warm
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 6-8 cups sifted flour
- Boiling water
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening. Beat in cold potatoes eggs, cooled milk, yeast water, salt and lemon extract. Mix in flour adding just enough to make a soft dough. Knead well.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a well-floured cutter. Let rise uncovered about 30 minutes. Deep fry in oil heated to 375° F. Drain on paper towel.
To make glaze, gradually add enough boiling water to powdered sugar and vanilla to make thin glaze. Drizzle over doughnuts.