Idaho Potato Commission
Winter Hot Salad (German)
- 1 package Dehydrated Scalloped Idaho Potatoes, reserve sauce mix
- 2 1/4 cups boiling water
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 6 scallions or green onions, tops included, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 hard boiled eggs, riced* or diced.
- In a 3-quart saucepan combine potatoes, 2 1/4 cups water and mustard seeds. Bring to boil; simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Set aside.
- In small bowl combine reserved sauce packet, dry mustard, sugar, 1/2 cup water and vinegar. Set aside. Fry bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Discard all but 4 tablespoons fat. Quickly sauté onions just to heat through. Add mustard-vinegar mixture; mix well. Carefully fold in potatoes including liquid and crumbled bacon. Summer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and riced eggs or diced eggs.
*To rice hard-cooked eggs, separate whites from yolks and grate separately with cheese grater.