Idaho Potato Commission
Idaho Loaded Hash Browns
Recipe courtesy of Tim Soufan, Executive Chef, Tre Amici, Dallas, Texas
This recipe is a personal favorite of Chef Tim Soufan.
4, 8-inch cakes
- 8, #60 ct. (6 lbs.) peeled Idaho® Potatoes
- 1 3/4 cups clarified butter
- 2 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup crispy bacon bits
- 8 oz. shredded sharp Cheddar
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 Tbsp. chives
- Shred potatoes into very thin julienne. Season in large mixing bowl with 1 cup butter, salt and pepper. In braiser or very large skillet over medium heat, add 1/2 cup butter and blanch potato to set color and starch, stirring constantly, 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Stir in thyme and bacon bits.
- For each cake, heat 1 Tbsp. butter in 8-inch non-stick skillet. Add one-quarter potato mixture to make one inch-thick hash brown. Pan-fry over medium heat until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Flip; cook other side until browned and crispy, about 10 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges and transfer cake to serving plate. Top center area with 2 oz. cheese; set in warm oven to barely melt. Garnish center area with 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 Tbsp. chives.
For convenience, a frozen or dehydrated julienne potato product can be substituted for the fresh Idaho® Potato in this recipe.