Idaho Potato Commission
Potato and Root Vegetable Gratin with Duck Prosciutto
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed
- 1 1/2 pounds large rutabaga, peeled, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 Idaho® potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced lengthwise #90 ct. (10 ounces each)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) Vidalia onion, shaved
- 1 pounds large parsnips, peeled, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces duck or other prosciutto, finely shaved
- 4 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon herbs, fresh, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Rub bottom of 8 1/2"x12" baking pan with olive oil. Shingle half the rutabaga slices to cover bottom of pan, overlapping slices no more than 1/2". Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Shingle 1/5 of potato slices over rutabaga; season lightly with salt and pepper. Pat or mist lightly with oil. Spread half the onions evenly over potatoes. Layer half the parsnip slices over onions; follow with another layer of potato slices. Pat or mist lightly with oil; season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spread potatoes with 4 oz. duck prosciutto; sprinkle with 2 oz. Pecorino Romano. Repeat layering and seasoning with rutabaga, potato, onion, parsnips, potato, duck, cheese, and final layer of potato. Pat or mist lightly with oil; season with salt and pepper. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake 45 - 50 minutes. Remove cover; pat or mist lightly with oil; sprinkle with herbs. Bake, uncovered, until top layer is lightly brown, 15 - 20 minutes. Allow to set 10 - 15 minutes. Slice and serve.