Idaho Potato Commission
Briazz Potato Stackzz
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Lazara, Vice President for Food, Briazz Sandwich Café, Seattle This recipe was created by Briazz culinary founder Mary Alhadeff, and is part of the Briazz recipe file.
- 6 pounds Idaho® potatoes, washed, peeled
- 1 - 2 pounds leeks, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 1/8 quarts mustard sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Mustard Sauce:
- 2 quarts medium white or béchamel sauce
- 4 ounces whole grain mustard
- 2 ounces vegetable base
- 1 - 2 tablespoons salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 2" deep hotel pan (12"x 20"). Slice potatoes 1/8" - 1/4" thick. Place in large pot, cover with cold water, bring to boil and simmer until barely tender, 7 - 10 minutes. Alternately, blanch by steaming until barely tender. Air-cool potatoes spread out on sheet pan, 10 - 15 minutes. Meanwhile, sweat leeks in butter until softened, about 7 minutes. Have mustard sauce ready. To assemble gratin, layer 1/4 of potatoes, 1/4 of sauce, 1/4 of leeks, 1/4 of cheese in hotel pan. Repeat this process to create 4 layers. Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes to an internal temperature of 175°F. Remove cover; bake 15 minutes until golden brown. Hold at 200°F for up to one hour, or chill quickly and slice to heat later.