Idaho Potato Commission
Makes 2 loaves
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons margarine or shortening
- 3/4 cup Instant Mashed Idaho Potatoes (dry flakes)
- 2 packages active dry or cake yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° F-115° F)
- 5 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt, margarine and potato flakes. Cool to lukewarm. In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in potato mixture. Add 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and form into two loaves. Place in 2 greased 9x5x3 loaf pans; cover and let rise until doubled. Preheat oven to 400° F. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 375° F and bake for 30 minutes. Remove bread from pans and cool on racks.