Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato Bread
Recipe courtesy of Michael Ballon, Castle Street Café, MA
- 2 Idaho® potatoes shredded or 2 cups Idaho® mashed potatoes
- 2/3 cup water (to cook potatoes in)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dry powdered milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons Yeast
- If using raw potatoes, shred the two potatoes and cook in 2/3 cup water until soft-about 5 minutes. Reserve the remaining water to add to yeast in step 3. Mash cooked potatoes, and let cool. Or you may simply use any leftover mashed potatoes, no water needed.
- Mix butter, salt, brown sugar, and dry milk, and add beaten eggs. Set aside
- Drain water off of the cooked potatoes and add it to the yeast and brown sugar, mix together.
- Add yeast mixture to egg arid butter mixture, then add the mashed potatoes, and flour.
- Knead mixture well, let rise 1 hour, punch down dough, then form into loaves, and let rise again.
- Bake 375ºF for 1 hour