Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato Shepherd's Pie
Recipe courtesy of Brewski's, San Diego, CA
Serves 4 to 6
- 3 ounces Heavy Cream
- 4 Medium Idaho® Russet Burbank Potatoes
- 2 pounds Ground or Chopped Beef (cooked)
- 6 ounces Diced Carrots
- 1/4 ounces Fresh Garlic
- 3 Chopped Sage Leaves
- 1/4 ounces Chopped Thyme
- 1 ounce Olive Oil
- 12 ounces Beef Stock
- 3 ounces Celery Diced
- 6 ounces Onion Diced
- 3 ounces Leek Finely Chopped
- 6 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 ounce Parsley
- 2 ounces Roux
- 3 ounces Red Wine (Merlot)
- 2 ounces Butter
- Peel and boil Idaho potatoes in chicken stock.
- Strain and mash with butter, cream, and salt and pepper to taste
- Let cool at room temperature.
- In a white hot pan add celery carrots, leeks, and onion. Sear for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add olive oil, meat, herbs, and garlic Cook until well done
- Deglaze with wine and add beef stock and parsley.
- Reduce liquid in half.
- Add roux, cool.
- Combine mixture with beef and place in oven proof Ramekins.
- Pipe (pastry bag) potatoes 3/4 inch thick on top of beef mixture.
- Cover completely. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- Finish with grated Asiago cheese