Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato, Duck and Bartlett Pie with a Roquefort Cream
Recipe courtesy of Friends Lake Inn, Chestertown N.Y.
- 2 Bartlett pears peeled and cored
- 1C Sugar
- 3C Water
- 2oz Unsalted butter
- 1T Minced garlic
- 3tsp Finely chopped rosemary
- 2C Minced onion
- 1lbs Ground duck meat, divide into two
- 3tsp Kosher salt
- 2lbs Peeled and quartered Idaho potatoes
- 1oz Unsalted butter
- 2 Eggs
- 3tsp Kosher salt
- 2T Garlic powder
- 2lbs Peeled Idaho potatoes
- 1oz Unsalted Butter, melted
- 2C Walnuts, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and white pepper to season
- In a small sauce pan dissolve the sugar into the water. Place peeled pears into the water and place on high heat. When the water comes to a boil remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand until the pears are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pears form the liquid and chill.
- In a sauté pan, over medium heat, melt 2 oz butter.
- Add garlic and sauté until you smell the garlic
- Add the rosemary then onions
- Continue to sauté until the onions begin to sweat.
- Add the first one half of the duck meat and sauté until the duck is cooked, season with the salt and set aside until completely cooled
- Fold the cooked duck mixture with the remaining duck meat, keep cold.
- In a medium sauce pot cover the quartered Idaho potatoes with cold water and place on high heat. Allow to boil until the potatoes are tender, remove and strain.
- Let the potatoes stand for 2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl mash together the boiled potatoes, 1 oz of butter, eggs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Grease the sides and bottom of a 10 inch non stick cake pan with butter.
- On a slicer or Mandolin very thinly slice the peeled Idaho potatoes.
- In a shingling manner line the bottom, then the sides of the cake pan with the slices of potato.
- Lightly brush with melted butter and then lightly season with the salt and pepper.
- Repeat this step three or four times until all the slices are used
- Bake this at 375 degrees in the oven for 5 minutes, remove and allow to cool.
- In the potato shell evenly spread the duck mixture, then thinly slice the pears and spread atop the duck mixture, lightly pressing them into the meat.
- Next sprinkle the walnuts and then spread the mash potato mixture.
- Loosely cover with aluminum foil
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, remove foil and allow to bake 45 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes.
- With a plate on the bottom flip over and remove the cake pan, slice into 12 even wedges.
- Serve with Roquefort Cream.