Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato Pancakes with Foie Gras and Apples
Recipe courtesy of Kirk Avondoglio, Perona Farms, Andover, NJ
- 1-1/2 lbs. Idaho Potatoes
- 1 Large Spanish onion
- 1 Red delicious apple
- 2 Eggs
- 2 oz. Parsley, chopped
- 4 Tbsp. Flour
- 1-1/4 lb. Foie Gras
- 3/4 cup Duck demi glace with apple cores and peelings
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup Simple Syrup
- 12 6-inch chives
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the garnish: Cut apples in six 1/8-inch rings. Soak in simple syrup for 24 hours. Lay out on baking sheets and bake at 200-degrees F until dry, approximately 12-24 hours.
- For the pancakes: Grate the potatoes, onion and red delicious apple. Add the eggs, chopped parsley and flour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Saute in duck fat until crisp and brown. Reserve.
- For the foie gras: Make six 4-ounce foie gras medallions. Season well. Sauté in a hot pan until medium rare. Reserve.
- For the sauce: Add apple trimmings to duck demi glace. Simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve.
- To assemble: Lay pancake on hot plate. Top with foie gras. Cut a slit in the foie gras to slide in the dried apple ring. Put one ounce of sauce around the plate. Stick 2 chives from the plate through the apple rings.