Idaho Potato Commission
Potato Pancakes Vonnas with Smoked Salmon and (Osetra) Caviar
Recipe courtesy of Don Pintabona, Chef, Dani Restaurant, New York City
- 3 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp Potato starch or corn starch
- 2 Whole eggs
- 4 Egg whites
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Cream fraiche or sour cream
- 6 large slices Smoked salmon
- 1 4oz jar Osetra caviar (optional)
- Dill sprigs for garnish
- To yield 1/2 lb. of Idaho potato puree, cook 3 large, peeled and diced potatoes in salted water. Then cooked thoroughly, pass potatoes through a food mill or sieve with fine holes.
- Place puree in electric mixer with a paddle attachment; add potato starch to mix thoroughly. Slowly incorporate eggs, then heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the lemon juice into the cram fraiche; set aside.
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spoon the pancake mixture into the skillet, keeping a round shape (silver dollar size). Cook for 90 seconds then turn and cook until done.
- To serve, place pancakes on plate and serve with one slice of smoked salmon, one tablespoon of the reserved cream fraiche mixture and a heaping teaspoon of caviar. Garnish with dill and serve