Idaho Potato Commission
Oyster and Idaho® Potato Bisque with Madras Curry and Caviar Potato Chips
Recipe courtesy of Michael Kornick , Exec Chef/Owner , MK and MK North, Chicago
- 32 ea Oysters, shucked, save liquid
- 1 qt Fish stock
- 1 (750m1) Dry white wine
- 4 ea Shallots
- 3 ea Ripe celery
- 1 bunch Chives
- 10 sprigs Parsley
- 10 sprigs Cilantro
- 3/4 lb Butter
- 2 qts Water
- 3 ea Small Idaho potatoes
- 1 Tbsp Madras curry powder
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 pinch Salt & pepper
- 1 qt Frying oil
- 1 ea Idaho potato
- 2 oz Osetra caviar
- Peel and dice the potatoes, store in cold water.
- Brunoise (1/8" X 1/8" X 1/8") the shallots
- Cut the chives 3/4" long
- Dice the celery
- Bring the fish stock to a boil, add the potatoes, cook until tender.
- Sweat the shallots and celery in 1/8 lb butter and add the wine reduce by 1/2 add the parsley and cilantro.
- Toast the curry and saffron in a dry pan, 15 seconds.
- Add the spices to the vegetables.
- Add the potatoes and fish stock.
- Add 24 of the oysters and the liquid.
- Puree at high speed strain and season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Garnish with 1 oyster per bowl and top with the caviar chips and chives.
- Peel the potatoes to 1 1/4" Diameter.
- Slice on the mandolin waffle cut.
- Heat the oil to 300 F.
- Fry the chips crisp.
- Top with caviar and chives.