Idaho Potato Commission
Baked Potato and Broccoli
Recipe courtesy of Denise Austin, Exercise Guru, Author of Eat Carbs. Lose Weight
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
The next time you're baking potatoes, bake an extra to make this filling lunch dish. Then just reheat the potato in the microwave oven and fill as directed. Or you could micro-bake the potato instead. Scrub and poke it in several places with a fork. Microwave on high power for 5 to 7 minutes, until it feels soft when gently squeezed. The potato needs to stand for a minute or two before filling; use that time to micro-cook the broccoli.
- 1 medium (5- to 6-ounce) Idaho russet baking potato, baked or microwaved
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup steamed small broccoli florets
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- Reheat the potato, if necessary, in the microwave.
- Cut a long slit in the top of the potato and press the ends in toward the center. With a fork, mash the potato pulp slightly.
- Add the salsa, cheese, sour cream, and pepper to taste, and mash to mix. Mix in the carrots.
- Spoon the broccoli into the potato and serve.
229 cal, 6 g fat, 16 mg cholesterol, 504 mg sodium, 21 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 10 g dietary fiber