Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato Doughnuts (Fritter Style)
Recipe courtesy of Andy Husbands, Chef/Owner, Tremont 647, Boston, MA
About 12 donuts
- 58 ounces bread flour
- 19 ounces Idaho® potato flour
- 4.75 ounces sugar
- 0.5 ounces salt
- 2.5 ounces egg yolk
- 10.75 ounces shortening/Crisco:
- 1 ounce instant active dry yeast:
- 41 ounces ice water
- 0.5 ounces vanilla NOTE: do not over work dough, gluten structure is not needed.
- Place dry ingredients into a suitably large bowl, and with a wire whip, blend the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Add to a mixing bowl, add the liquid ingredients and the shortening and mix at medium speed just until smooth dough is achieved. The target dough temperature is 78 to 80°.
- Allow the dough to ferment for one hour,
- Then divide the dough into smaller pieces that you can easily roll out. Form each of these pieces into a large ball and allow to rest at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes, then roll out and cut to desired size/shape.
- Place cut dough pieces onto a frying screen or onto a flour dusted canvas cloth to proof. These donuts can be proofed at room temperature in a draft free area for about 40 minutes before frying at 365°. Note: Since the ingredients are given in weight measurements, you can make smaller dough sizes very easily by simply dividing the ingredient amounts.
- Shake in bags with powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar.