Idaho Potato Commission
Easy, Cheesy Idaho® Potatoes and Ham
Nothing beats a slow cooker for ease, and potatoes cook up wonderfully in whatever make or model of slow cooker you have. To keep this dish healthy, we've used lower fat cheese and reduced-sodium ham and broth.
Estimated Cost per Serving*:
- 4 medium Idaho® potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 cup reduced-sodium ham steak, cubed (about 5 ounces of pieces)
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced sodium canned chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup reduced-fat, extra sharp, shredded cheddar cheese (such as 2% milk varieties)
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- Cut scrubbed potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half into ¼-inch thick slices (not too thin or they'll fall apart during cooking).
- Place the potatoes, onions, and ham into a slow cooker crock (must be at least 4 quart capacity). In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the broth, flour, garlic and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes, then stir with a wooden spoon to distribute all ingredients.
- Cover and set slow cooker to HIGH (use LOW setting for 6 hour cooking time). Cook for 3 hours, stirring once after about 2 hours of cooking time. When done, uncover and stir in the shredded cheese. Divide mixture between 4 bowls.
406 calories, 41 mg cholesterol, 11 g fat ,796 mg sodium, 19 g protein, 61 g carbohydrates