Idaho Potato Commission
Baked Potatoes with Eggplant Parmesan Topping
Recipe courtesy of Bob McGirr, Chef, Brock, Morriston, NJ
- 6 medium Idaho potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 small eggplant (about 5 ounces), trimmed, peeled and diced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, trimmed, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 12-14 oz. can of diced tomatoes in puree
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (optional)
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- Pre-heat oven to 450°F. Wash and dry potatoes.
- With a fork or sharp knife, pierce each potato 2 or 3 times. Place on cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- In a medium skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. When hot, add the eggplant and sauté 5 minutes, then add the green pepper, garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Continue to stir and sauté about 5 minutes more, or until vegetables and tender and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, decrease heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 8-10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Halve each baked potato lengthwise and place on individual dinner plates. Divide eggplant topping between portions, spooning it over top of the potato halves. Sprinkle each portion with a tablespoon of the parmesan cheese to garnish.
Approximate nutritional analysis per serving: 256 calories, 7 g protein, 4 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium.