Idaho Potato Commission
Crunchy Country Potato Casserole
Recipe courtesy of Sodexo at St. Mary's Hospital, Athens, GA
1 2" Half PanServings:
12 1 cut-3x4 HP Yield/Bechamel Sauce:
24 2-ounce ladles
• 1 quart Bechamel (Cream) Sauce (recipe below)
• 1 ounce butter
• 1 pound fresh leeks or green onions, sliced 1/8”
• 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 3 pounds + 12 ounces Idaho® baking potatoes, 100 count, peeled, sliced 1/8” or frozen cubed potatoes
• 1 pound shredded cheddar cheese
• 2 cups corn flakes
• Vegetable spray oil (as needed)Bechamel Sauce
• 2-3/4 ounces margarine
• 2-3/4 ounces all-purpose flour
• 1-1/2 quarts + 1/4 cup fat free milk, scalded
• 1 tablespoon + 1/4 teaspoon vegetable base, no MSG
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Prepare Bechamel Sauce according to recipe.
- In a sauté pan, heat butter over low heat.
- Add leeks or green onions. Sweat for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Combine sauce, mustard and salt. Mix until well-blended.
- Spray 2” half pans with vegetable oil spray. In each pan, layer 12 ounce potatoes, 1 cup sauce, 2-1/2 ounces sautéed leeks and 4 ounces cheese. Repeat for 4 layers per pan. Cover pans tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. When you're ready to bake, remove plastic wrap, cover with aluminum foil and bake in 375°F standard oven or 350°F convection oven for 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove cover, top with crushed corn flakes and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until golden brown and minimum internal temperature is 175°F. Hold hot (140°F or above) for service.
- In a saucepan, heat margarine until melted.
- Gradually add flour, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and has a soft texture. Cooking time will vary with amount being made (about 5 minutes per 1 gallon yield).
- Combine milk, vegetable base and nutmeg. Gradually add to above, stirring with a wire whip until smooth. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until raw flour taste disappears. Minimum internal temperature should be 140°F or above; hold hot (140°F or above) for use.