Idaho Potato Commission
Irish Colcannon with Spring Onions and Leeks
This recipe was created by Angela Spengler of Clovis, NM and received an Honorable Mention in the IPC’s 2010 Watching Waistlines and Wallets Recipe Contest.
- 1 quart water
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 medium Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped leeks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- Bring water and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to boil in a large saucepan, add potatoes, return to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain, reserving hot water and set water aside.
- Place potatoes in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer,beat on low speed 1 minute, add milk and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Beat on medium until fluffy.
- Add the reserved water to saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, add cabbage, return to a boil and continue boiling 5 minutes or until tender, drain.
- Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat, add onions and leeks, cook 6 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Stir in the mashed potatoes and cabbage, heat thoroughly and serve topped with parsley.
110 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 370 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate 2 g fiber, 2g protein.A Note From The Test Kitchen:
This is ideal for days when a bit of comfort is needed…without a lot of effort. Serve with a simple cut of meat, poultry or fish and a green salad.