Idaho Potato Commission
IdahoŽ Potato and Root Vegetable Gratin
Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan, Chef, The Dressing Room, Westport, CT, and cookbook author
- 6 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil. divided
- l large rutabaga (approximately 1 pound), peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large Idaho Potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup Vidalia onions very thinly sliced
- 1 pound large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs (such as parsley, thyme. etc.) chopped
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Using clean hands, rub 2 teaspoons of olive oil onto bottom of an 8 1/2 x 12" casserole dish. Layer enough rutabaga slices to cover bottom of dish, overlapping slices by no more than 1/2-inch. Season slices lightly with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice one of potatoes lengthwise and layer slices over rutabaga, overlapping slightly. Slice more potatoes as needed to finish layer, then season lightly with salt and pepper. Lightly brush or pat potato slices with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Spread half of the onions evenly over potatoes.
- Layer half of parsnip slices on top of onion layer, overlapping them slightly. Brush parsnips with 1 teaspoon of oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Repeat layers, seasoning each as before, and finishing with potato slices. If any vegetable slices are left over, alternate rows of vegetables and potatoes on top layer. Brush top layer with 1 teaspoon of the oil, then season. Cover tightly and place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover, brush top with remaining teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with herbs. Bake, uncovered, for another 15 - 20 minutes, or until top is nicely browned. Remove from oven and allow to sit 10 - 15 minutes before serving.
230 calories, 4 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 91 g sodium, 4 g protein, 47 g carbohydrates