Idaho Potato Commission
Peruvian Oxtail "Shepherd's Pie" with IdahoŽ Fingerlings
Recipe courtesy of Todd Downs, FS Insights, Fort Wayne, IN
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 8 oxtails, cut into 2" lengths
- 1 bottle of Merlot
- 2 gallons prepared veal demi-glace sauce
- 3/4 pound Idaho® Russian Banana Fingerling potatoes, sliced
- 3/4 pound Idaho® Pink Fingerling potatoes, sliced
- 1 pound yellow, purple, magenta carrots
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 onion, 1/4" dice
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 4 ounces Idaho® potatoes, mashed
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 ounces aji amarillo chile puree
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 2 ounces rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 ounces olive oil
- Salt and pepper as needed
- 2 cups fresh peas
- Idaho® Purple Peruvian Fingerling potato chips
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Drizzle 1 ounce of olive oil each into 2 large roasting pans. Divide oxtails between pans and brown in oven from 20 minutes. Turn the oxtails and continue to brown another 15 minutes. Drain all excess fat from pans. Reserve oxtails in the pans. Reduce the Merlot in a 3 gallon stockpot by half. Add the demi-glace. Heat to simmer and mix well.
- Pour heated wine sauce over the oxtails, cover with foil and return to 325°F oven to cook for 3 hours, until tender.
- Remove oxtail from sauce, strain sauce and cool. Refrigerate sauce.
- Cool oxtail and remove meat from bones, discarding sinew and fat. Refrigerate meat until the next day.
- Degrease the sauce. Heat sauce in a heavy bottomed pot. Add sliced potatoes and carrots. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed saute pan over medium high heat and add 2 ounces of olive oil. Add onions, garlic and fresh thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often until onions are well caramelized. Add oxtail meat and heat thoroughly.
- Transfer meat and onion mixture to pan with vegetables and sauce. Heat mixture and mix well. Reserve warm.
- Heat mashed potatoes with cream and butter. Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Transfer strained potato mixture to an ISI ThermoWhip Canister. Screw lid on tight. Place a "star" nozzle on the top. Charge with one nitrous oxide charger. Shake well for one minute, reserve.
- Combine chile puree, garlic, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a blender. Puree. Slowly add the oil in a steady stream with motor running.
- Transfer to a squeeze bottle. Reserve.
- Heat fresh peas in hot water. Fry thinly sliced Peruvian potatoes into crisp chips.
- Place 8 ounces of the oxtail stew in a soup or pasta plate. Top with approximately 1/2 cup of potato froth. Drizzle with Aji Vinaigrette, garnish with peas and purple potato chips. SERVE.