Idaho Potato Commission
Heart-Healthy Chopped IdahoŽ Potato Breakfast Salad
Get a real energy boost with this delicious, healthy and fortifying breakfast option.
For the salad:
- 3 large Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
For the dressing:
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped (packed into cup measure)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
Estimated Nutritional Analysis per Serving:
- Place potato cubes in a large saucepan; add water to cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Boil potatoes for 5 minutes, or until tender (easily pierced with a knife). Drain and place in a serving bowl.
- Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook the egg whites over medium heat, without stirring, until cooked through but not overcooked. Flip skillet over onto a clean cutting board, releasing egg whites. Chop egg whites and add to serving bowl.
- Add red pepper and chickpeas to the bowl, stirring all ingredients to combine; set aside. Prepare dressing: Puree all ingredients in a blender. Add to salad and toss gently to combine.
260 calories, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fat, 125 mg sodium, 10 g protein, 46 g carbohydrates