229 Parks Restaurant and Tavern
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Yield: 4 Servings
The Potato Dill Soup is the perfect meal for a cozy day in.
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil and blanch the dill, stems and all, until tender, 10 to 15 seconds. Transfer dill to an ice bath if serving soup cold or saving to serve soup later.
2. In a blender, purée blanched dill with an equal volume of blanching water so it is completely emulsified. Mixture should be bright green. Pour into bowl and reserve. (No need to clean the blender before puréeing the potato mixture.)
3. In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, cook Idaho® potatoes, leeks, broth, nutmeg and cayenne pepper until potatoes are fork-tender.
4. Transfer mixture to blender and blend until creamy. Add milk or half-and-half until desired consistency is reached.
5. Stir reserved dill purée into soup base.
6. If serving hot, heat soup in sauce pan. Refrigerate if serving cold.
7. Split soup between four bowls and garnish with Swiss chard, radishes, dill fronds, a dollop of crème fraiche and a scallion flower.