Idaho® Dutch Oven Scalloped Potatoes with Cabot cheeses
- 3 pounds Idaho® potatoes, thin sliced, skin on
- 1 large leek, white section only, washed, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided 1 tablespoon & 2 tablespoons
- 6 large baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt / 2 teaspoons fresh ground rainbow peppercorns / ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 cup each, Cabot Smokey Bacon, Tomato Basil and New York Vintage cheeses
- Prepare all ingredients in advance – “Mise en Place”
- Heat a dozen charcoal briquettes and place on the bottom of your Dutch oven.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and sauté the leeks and garlic.
- When the leeks and garlic are tender and fragrant, remove from Dutch oven and set aside.
- Start heating another 20 charcoal briquettes.
- Place ⅓ of your thin sliced Idaho® potatoes evenly on the bottom of Dutch oven.
- Sprinkle ⅓ of your salt/pepper/cayenne mixture evenly over the potatoes.
- Spread ⅓ of the leeks, garlic and sliced mushrooms evenly over the Idaho® potatoes.
- Repeat with the remaining ⅔ of Idaho® potatoes, leeks, garlic, mushrooms, and salt/pepper/cayenne mixture.
- Pour in 1 cup of half & half.
- Break up the 2 tablespoons butter, add to the top.
- Place your Dutch oven lid on top and redistribute the coals so you have 12 briquettes on top and 8 briquettes on the bottom.
- Bake until the Idaho® potatoes are fork tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Replenish charcoal briquettes as needed.
- Note: Due to the sealed cooking conditions of a Dutch oven, very little of the half & half may have evaporated. You can always cook for the last several minutes with the lid set ajar to help with the evaporation process.
- Once your potatoes are cooked, sprinkle your mixed cheese topping over the Scalloped Idaho® potatoes and replace the lid for 10 minutes.
- When the cheese has melted, serve.