Idaho® Potato Pierogi with Bacon and Cheese
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 5 medium Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- 1 cube unsalted butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Slice the potatoes into quarters and place in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Bring the pot to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them in a large bowl. Add the butter, milk, salt and pepper and mash to combine.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain. Remove the grease from the pan but reserve for later use.
- Add the cooked bacon to the potato mixture.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, eggs, salt and sour cream. Gradually add the milk. Using a dough hook, knead the dough for 5-6 minutes. Add additional flour if the dough is sticking to the sides of the bowl.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap. Let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half and roll each half into a large circle, approximately 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2.5-inch cookie cutter, cut rounds out of the rolled dough.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the potato mixture into the center of each circle. Fold the top of the circle over the filling, creating a half circle. Starting in the center of the round, press the edges together to seal, moving out to the edges.
- Add the pierogi to a pot of salted boiling water 5-6 at a time. The pierogi will sink to the bottom and then rise to the top. After they come to the top, continue to cook for 1 minute and then remove from the water and drain.
- Using the skillet you cooked the bacon in, heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved bacon grease over medium high heat. Fry the pierogi in the hot oil until browned, turning to cook each side. Add additional grease as needed.
- Serve with sour cream.