Loaded Idaho® Baked Potato Sliders
- 1 pound Idaho® potatoes, peeled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plain bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 slider rolls, or biscuits
- 6 slices cheddar cheese, cut in half
- 6 slices cooked bacon, cut in half
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 pieces green leaf lettuce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- Cut the potatoes into a medium dice and place them in a pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Mash with the butter, buttermilk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and granulated garlic. Continue to mash until the potatoes are somewhat smooth. Set aside and allow to cool down completely.
- Once cooled, shape the potatoes into small patties with damp hands to prevent sticking. Form into flat discs the size of the rolls or biscuits.* Allow to sit for a few minutes to set and firm up a bit.
- Whisk the eggs with a splash of water in a shallow dish. Pour the breadcrumbs in a separate dish. Dip the potato patties in the egg wash and then dredge them in the breadcrumbs, patting them so that they’re fully coated. Place on a plate or platter and continue breading the rest.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and allow to heat through. Cook the potato patties for about 2 to 3 minutes on the first side, or until golden brown. Flip over and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes to brown the second side. Transfer to a plate and continue browning the remaining patties.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, chives, grated garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper until completely combined.
- To assemble the sliders, split the rolls or biscuits in half. Spread both sides liberally with the garlic chive sauce. Place a browned potato patty down and top with cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato. Skewer with a toothpick to hold together. Serve warm or at room temperature.