- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine cream, pimentos, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, coarse salt and thyme sprigs.
- Cook and stir until dry spices are dissolved and the mixture begins to bubble, thicken and is reduced by 1/3.
- Remove thyme stems, leaving leaves in mixture. Set aside.
- Scrub and peel (if desired) Idaho® Russets.
- Using a sharp knife or mandolin, thinly slice potatoes.
- Plunge potatoes into cold water bath to prevent browning.
- Distribute melted butter in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Layer potato slices and pimento cream into dish.
- Midway through layering, distribute half of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Continue layering potato slices and pimento cream until all ingredients are used.
- Top with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese and cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered casserole in a preheated 325°(F) oven for one hour.
- Uncover and continue baking for 40-60 minutes, until potatoes are tender and top is crusty and browned.
Time Saving Tip
If you do not have fresh thyme, simply omit this ingredient. Do not substitute dried thyme. For added instruction and entertainment, watch the Pimento Cheese Potato Gratin Video.