Pumpkin Sage Mashed Idaho® Potatoes
- 2½ pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Country Crock® Original Spread
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped, fresh sage leaves
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1¼ cup pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- a few turns freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a large pot about halfway with water.
- Peel the potatoes and then cut them into sixths, adding them directly to the water as you go. (If the water isn't completely covering the potatoes, add more until it does by at least an inch.)
- Cover the pot and bring to boil. Keeping the lid on, turn to heat to low and gently simmer the potatoes until they're tender, when you can easily pierce them with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the Country Crock® to a large sauté pan and place it over low heat. Once it has melted, add the onions and cook until they're soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sage and cook until it's aromatic, about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk the half and half with pumpkin, cinnamon, salt and a few turns of pepper. Add the onion mixture and stir to blend. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and then add them to a large mixing bowl. Mash them with a large fork or a potato masher, leaving a few chunks here and there.
- Fold in the pumpkin mixture until it's evenly blended.
- Serve warm or hot.