- 1/3 lb. Idaho® fingerling potatoes, try purple or red varieties for best visibility
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into bits
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups gorgonzola, crumbled
- 5-6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked, cooled and crumbled
- Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment. Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Prepare the potatoes: slice thin, about 1/4 inch or less, and blanch in boiling water for one minute. Remove and cool in ice water for about 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter in using a pastry cutter or your hands, until it resembles coarse crumbs. You should see pea-sized chunks of butter. In a smaller bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk. Make a well in the center of the dries, pour in the liquids, and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough has pulled in most of the dry ingredients. Stir in the cheese, bacon and potatoes and finish mixing the dough.
- Scoop the dough and drop by the spoonful onto the prepared sheets. If you like, whisk an egg with a few teaspoons of water and brush over the tops of the scones for a shinier appearance.
- Bake scones for about 15 minutes, moving sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking. Cool briefly and serve warm.
To make 54 scones (baking by weights):
- 1 lb. sliced, Idaho® fingerling potatoes, try purple or red varieties for best visibility
- 50 oz. bread flour
- 5 oz. sugar
- 1.5 oz. baking powder
- .6 oz. salt
- 24 oz. sweet butter, cold and cut into bits
- 6 eggs (12 oz.)
- 24 oz. buttermilk
- 1 lb. gorgonzola crumbles
- 1.25 lbs. thick-cut bacon, cooked, cooled and crumbled