Idaho® Potato Lover’s Potato Chips
- 2 large Idaho® Russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 15-ounce can beets (whole, sliced or shredded)
- oil, for frying
- Equipment: small heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice the potatoes. Punch a heart shape out of each slice. Put all the heart-shaped pieces in a colander, add the salt and toss. Let the heart-shaped pieces sit about 30 minutes. (This brings some of the water out of the potatoes so they can better absorb the color from the beets.)
- Put the beets with their liquid into a blender. Whizz until smooth.
- Rinse the potato slices and pat dry very thoroughly with paper towels. Put the potato slices into a bowl or plastic container, pour the beet puree over, and stir gently to make sure every slice of potato is in contact with the beets. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, fish the heart-shaped potato slices out of the container. Rinse in a colander and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Pour 3 inches of oil into a heavy pot or saucepan. Heat the oil to about 350° F. Drop in a few chips at a time and fry until golden around the edges and crisp. Remove the chips with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt while still warm.