Loaded Gnocchi with Baked Potato Broth
- 1 pound Idaho potatoes
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup grated yellow cheddar
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced bacon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cheddar reserved
- Bake potatoes at 425 until a bit overcooked, about 45 minutes scoop out the flesh. Reserve the skins.
- Pass the potatoes through a potato a ricer or grate them.
- Make a mound of potatoes on the counter with a well in the middle, add 4 of the egg yolks, the cheese, onion, bacon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Mix in the potatoes and mix well with hands.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the flour over the potatoes and, using your knuckles, press it into the potatoes.
- Fold the mass over on itself and press down again.
- Sprinkle on more flour, little by little, folding and pressing the dough until it just holds together.
- It will feel firm but yielding.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Roll reach piece into a rope about 1/2-inch in diameter. Cut into 1/2-inch-long pieces.
- As you cut the gnocchi, dust them lightly with flour and scatter them on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Set gnocchi to dry for 1 hour.
- Poach gnocchi in salted boiling water, toss in olive oil.
- With the skins of the potato, bake until golden and dry at 300 degrees.
- While baking whip sour cream until light.
- When finished baking put into water and turn to simmer, let simmer 1 hour. When finished strain and season. Set aside and keep warm.
- Take cooked gnocchi and toss with reserved cheddar, place in dish with skin broth. Top with sour cream, and if desired bacon bits and green onion.