- Braised Beef (see below)
- reserved braising liquid
- 2 cups pearl onions, cooked
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, cooked, quartered
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons black truffle paste
- Potato Tots (see below)
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Braised Beef Ingredients:
- 5 pounds beef short rib, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 24 ounces stout
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with cold water to form a paste
Potato Tots Ingredients:
- 12 large Idaho® russet potatoes
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 2 cups for frying
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven broiler to medium-high. Heat braised beef in a large sauté pan with thickened braising liquid, pearl onions and mushrooms.
- Once hot, add heavy cream and fold in truffle paste.
- Divide mixture between 6 metal dishes and top each with fried potato tots. Sprinkle Gruyère cheese over top.
- Broil until cheese is melted. Garnish with chives and serve.
Braised Beef Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325° Season beef short rib with salt and pepper. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and sear beef on both sides, working in batches, then remove from the pot.
- Keep the pot over medium heat, add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add onions, carrots and celery. Brown slightly. Add stout. Turn down heat to low and reduce the liquid slightly. Add the beef back to pot and add beef stock, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, cover and braise in oven until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove meat from braising liquid and reserve. Strain liquid into a saucepan, bring to a boil and whisk in cornstarch to thicken slightly.
Potato Tots Directions:
- Heat oven to 350° Wash potatoes well with water to remove all dirt. Lightly prick potatoes with a fork. Toss potatoes with 4 tablespoons vegetable oil and 2 tablespoons salt.
- Spread potatoes out on a large baking sheet. Roast potatoes until tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cut potatoes in half and press flesh through a baking grate into a large mixing bowl, leaving the skins behind (discard skins).
- Season the grated potatoes with 2 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon black pepper, then fold in 4 tablespoons olive oil.
- Line a half sheet tray with parchment paper and lightly grease with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Firmly and evenly press potato mix into sheet tray. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill overnight.
- Cut potato mixture into about 1-inch squares. Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in a shallow fry pan to about 325° Carefully place potato squares into oil and fry until golden and crispy, flipping as needed and working in small batches so not to crowd the pan. Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.