- 4 medium Idaho® potatoes, cut in half, then into planks
- water, for cooking
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Mushroom Gravy Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or use coconut aminos to make soy-free)
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½cup water
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- fresh, soft loaf of French or Italian bread
- sliced tomatoes
- vegan mayo
- Tabasco or your favorite hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and prepare 2 baking sheets by spraying oil or covering with parchment paper.
- Put the potato planks into a soup pot and add water until it’s about 1 inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Pour into a strainer over the sink and rinse with cold tap water to stop the cooking process.
- Add the drained potatoes to a large mixing bowl and carefully toss with the olive oil, Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, salt, garlic, and black pepper.
- Arrange the fries on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then take the sheets out and flip each fry.
- Bake on the second side for 10 more minutes
- While the potatoes are baking heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the mushrooms and saute until they begin to release their juices.
- Stir in the soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the water and whisk in the tapioca starch. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook until it thickens.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Toast the bread if you’d like or cut into smaller sandwich pieces, slather vegan mayo and/or hot sauce on it or, serve it dressed with lettuce, tomato and mayo.
- Layer the baked fries over the bottom piece of the bread and spread some of the mushroom mixture on top of the potatoes. Put the top piece of bread on and enjoy!