Purple Peruvian Gnocchi with Beets, Walnuts, Brown Butter and Gorgonzola Dolce
- 2 medium beets, any variety or combination
- Salt for boiling potatoes
- 4 Idaho® Purple Peruvian potatoes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- Salt for boiling gnocchi
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 whole fresh sage leaves
- Gnocchi (see recipe)
- 4 ounces beets, cooked and blanched (see recipe)
- 2 ounces walnut halves
- 2 ounces gorgonzola dolce cheese
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water to make an ice bath for blanching the beets. Set aside.
- Peel the beets. If they're over 2 inches in diameter, cut them into large dice.
- Place the beets in a pot large enough to hold them in a single layer. Cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the beets with a slotted spoon and carefully drop them into the ice-water bath. Once cooled, drain the beets in a colander and reserve.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Peel the potatoes and add to the pot. Cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash with a fork or potato ricer. (Alternatively, bake unpeeled potatoes in a 400°F oven until tender, about an hour. When cool enough to handle, remove skins and mash.)
- Combine 1 cup mashed potato, flour and egg in a large bowl. Knead until the dough forms a ball. Shape small portions of the dough into long "snakes." On a floured surface, cut the snakes into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-bottomed nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and cook, whisking frequently. Once melted, the butter will foam up a bit, then subside. After 1 to 2 minutes, lightly browned specks will begin to form at the bottom of the pan and the butter should have a nutty aroma. Add the sage at this point and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl to stop the butter from cooking further and possibly burning.
- Drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook until the gnocchi have risen to the surface, 3 to 5 minutes; drain.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, immediately toss the gnocchi with the brown butter and sage. Brown the gnocchi on all sides, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beets and walnuts and sauté until warmed through, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
- Plate immediately, garnish with the cheese and serve.